Diary Appendix Page Four
Appendix 28: John Dennis, Ann Denhams's Brother
1861 census gives the following information, living with his family in Newchurch, Hampshire, the family consists of: -
- John, Head aged 53, born Norton, Isle of Wight. Boot and Shoemaker
- Mary Ann. Daughter aged 22, born St. Heliers, Jersey. Laundress
- William H. Son aged 20, born Southampton?, boot closer
- Rosina E. Daughter aged 17, born St. Heliers, Jersey. Laundress
- Charles. Son aged 14, born St. Heliers, Jersey. Scholar
- George. Son aged 13, born St. Heliers, Jersey. Scholar
- Walter A. Son aged 8, born St. Heliers, Jersey. Scholar
By the 1871 census the family had moved to Martin Cottage, Monkton Street, Ryde and consisted of; -
- John, Head aged 62, boot maker. John died in 1875.
- Rosina E. Daughter aged 27. Housekeeper
- Walter. Son aged 17. Carpenter
- Ann Dennis. Mother aged 85. (the Grandmother of Mary Ann, Grandma in Diary)
Appendix 29: William Walter Dore (son)
Williiam was the son of William Walter and Mary Ann and was born in 1862. He married Jane Hunt in September 1886 at St Thomas' Church, Newport. They had they following ccildren:
- William Denham* born 1886
- William Gustave** born 1893, died 1981 aged 86
- Leslie Earnest born 1890***
- Dorcas Gertrude born 1899, never married and died in 1974 aged 75.
William died in 1950, aged 87.
* William Denham Dore married Dorothy Williams in 1924 at St. John Oakfield, no children traced. Dorothy died in 1939 aged 42 in Newport.
** William Gustave Dore married Grace Smith in 1920 at Holy Trinity Church, Bembridge. Grace died in 1945. They had the following children:
- Kenneth John born 1922
- Blanche Winifred born 1923, married Cecil Kennard 1954, two children
- Mavis Jean born 1925, married 1945 St. Paul Barton, George Simpson, two children
*** Leslie Earnest Dore married Emma W. Hicks at St. Paul, Gattcombe, no children traced.
Appendix 30: Ebenezer Chapel (Littletown Chapel)
The chapel mentioned in the Diary was Littletown Chapel which was built on part of a field at Balambs Farm owned by James Alford, Yeoman of Arreton. The size of the building was 52 feet by 25 feet. The building was destoyed in a storm in 1897.